JOIN OUR TEAM
Retail Associate (Indy Reads Books)
Part-Time (Appx 10-15 hours/week), non-exempt
Starting rate is $10.00 per hour
Indy Reads Books is seeking a part-time retail associate. The position is hourly, with approximately 10-15 hours/week. The ideal candidate has previous retail experience and is passionate about books and promoting literacy. An interest in the nonprofit sector is beneficial, but not required.
Regular retail responsibilities
- Greet all customers, assess their needs, and provide assistance finding books.
- Follow cash handling procedures and operate the Point Of Sale system.
- Process payments by totaling purchases and discounts; process cash, credit cards, gift certificates, and coupons.
- Answer telephone and direct calls to appropriate staff person.
- Communicate specific product needs to managers to ensure the store is stocked appropriately.
- Attend to the sales floor by gathering and picking up discarded items, straightening displays, maintaining restrooms, and performing other housekeeping tasks as needed.
- Process and display new and used stock.
- Assist with supervision of the store to prevent security risks and thefts.
- Passion for books and reading.
- Interest in maintaining knowledge of book industry trends.
- Proficient in G Suite, MS Office, and social media platforms.
- A positive attitude, strong work ethic, excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Previous customer service and/or retail experience.
- Ability to stand on feet for entire shift.
- Ability to carry boxes of books throughout store and down stairs.
- High school diploma.
- Applicants must be available to work evenings and weekends.
Submit your résumé and cover letter to Meredith Hylton, store manager, at email@example.com.